Zurich North America manages Workers’ Compensation insurance for West Virginia University. WVU employees who sustain job related injuries may be covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance for wage and/or health care needs. Timely and efficient completion of claims is necessary in order for WVU to assist qualified employees with receipt of their entitled Workers’ Compensation benefits. The following are important criteria for employees to remember:
- If a work site injury occurs, employees should immediately notify the supervisor of their injury.
- If employees decide to file a Worker’s Compensation claim, they may obtain a
Workers' Compensation Packet
(PDF file) from a supervisor or they may download it in PDF format from the internet.
The packet includes the WVU Supervisor’s Injury/Illness Report Form which must be completed and filed within 3 days of an injury. The packet also includes the WC-1 Form, which must be filed no later than six months from the date the injury occurs.
- A witness to an on-the-job injury who would like to submit a statement about the injury should complete the Witness Statement form, which is found within the Workers' Compensation Packet (PDF File)
- An Option Election Form ( a sample is included in the Workers' Compensation Packet (PDF file) will be sent to employees who are eligible to accrue sick leave. This form gives employees the option to repay the University in order to reinstate any sick leave which may have been charged for the injury.
- A MedicalVerificationForm must be completed if the employee is absent from work for more than 5 consecutive days.
Additional Resources:Certificate of Coverage