Supervisors/EBO FMLA Responsibility
If an employee has been approved for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), supervisors and EBOs will receive a letter via email from the WVU Division of Human Resources Medical Management Unit outlining the details of the approved dates. You will also receive an email from Leave@mail.wvu.edu notifying you that the employee’s FMLA is now activated in the MyTime Leave System.
Due to recent Federal Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting requirements, paid and unpaid FMLA must be documented timely and appropriately. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring the documentation of an employee’s FMLA utilization.Documentation of paid and/or unpaid FMLA begins in the MyTime Leave System. It is your responsibility as a supervisor to submit and approve paid/unpaid FMLA through the Leave System should the employee be unable to request the leave for themselves. It is an employee’s responsibility if calling off work on approved intermittent FMLA to notify you that their absence is related to their FMLA condition(s). If an employee has been approved for FMLA through Medical Management, they will have three new leave options in the Leave System available for use:
- FMLA Sick
- FMLA Annual
- FMLA Unpaid
FMLA runs concurrently with the employee’s approved medical leave and may be paid or unpaid depending upon the employee’s own sick and annual leave balances. FMLA Sick will be approved first, followed by FMLA Annual. If both the employee’s annual leave and sick leave balances are exhausted OR the employee is not eligible for annual leave and sick leave and they still have a remaining FMLA balance, then FMLA Unpaid must be submitted. It is extremely important to notify your EBO and Payroll when an employee begins utilization of FMLA Unpaid.
Steps to Follow for Submitting
1) Learn how to submit leave for an employee in the Leave System
If the employee is not eligible for annual leave and sick leave, skip to step 4.
2) Submit FMLA Sick for the employee, if the employee has sick leave available; then,
3) Submit FMLA Annual leave for the employee, if the employee has annual leave available; or,
4) If both sick and annual leave balances are exhausted OR the employee is not eligible for annual leave and sick leave, submit FMLA Unpaid
5) Notify your EBO in writing of the employee’s exhaustion of sick and annual leave balances and they are now utilizing FMLA Unpaid. If the employee is not eligible for annual leave and sick leave, notify your EBO they are now utilizing FMLA Unpaid and need removed from payroll.
Due to recent Federal Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting requirements, unpaid FMLA must be documented timely and appropriately.
7) Notify EBO in writing of the employee’s return to work
Questions regarding the utilization and processing of FMLA through the leave system may be directed to Central Leave at 293-5700×4 or Leave@mail.wvu.edu.